Sunday, October 13, 2013

ETEC 674 Session 3: Institutional Support for eLearning

In our investigation for technology methods used in online courses we had a guest speaker through talkshoe to talk about institutional support for eLearning at CSUSB. The guest speaker is Dr. Jim Monaghan who is the assistant Vice President for Academic Technologies and Distributed Learning at CSUSB. I think in this session I had a great experience, good discussion points, and helpful information. In this review I will discuss several point related to instructional technology that Dr. Jim Monaghan has mentioned in his talk.
This is a second time for me attending talkshoe discussion or lecture. So I need to give my impression about this theology method.  Talkshoe is an online web service that enables anyone to easily create, join, or listen to Live Interactive Discussions, Conversations, Podcasts and Audio blogs. This site allows users to call into the show via SkypeOut or a landline/cellphone. I think this is one of the grate futures in this site. Another good future in this site is that membership to Talkshoe is free, which make it easier to be used widely. One important figure in talkshoe is that the ability to record the show and upload it on the site. Thing that I do not like about Talkshoe is the sound quality. I think the quality of sound is poor. I had a difficult time trying to follow the speakers. The site as will does not allow user to display presentations, pictures, documents on the screen, if this future is available it would be more affective.  
Dr. Jim Monaghan stated that Blackboard marketshar declined form 75% to 40%. And he discussed the reasons causing this decline.  There are  several business report indicate that Blackboard's market share among universities slipped to about 45 percent last year, down 26 points from six years before. Blackboard carried out a round of layoffs in Sep 2013 as part of a broader reorganization by CEO. This decline refers to the intensity of competition and the lack of creativity and innovation at Blackboard. These are to links refer to Blackboard marketshar and layoffs.
During the discussion, Dr. Newbery discuses Blackboard functionality and uses. This is form faculty prospective. One question comes to my mind is that is Blackboard interface becoming hard to use? Reviewing some faculty members who use Blackboard indicated that some of Blackboard users think that blackboard is still one of the good options available for online courses. The only LMS that I use is Blackboard and I found in it very effective tools to communicate with instructors, content and other students.
The first time I hear about MOOC concept is in this session. So as an instructional technology student I thought I have to be aware of this concept. One great opportunity in this discussion is to know about something new that you have never heard about it. MOOC is A massive open online course (MOOC). It is an online course aimed at unlimited participation and open access though the web. In addition to traditional course materials such as videos, readings and problem sets, MOOCs provide interactive user forums that help build a community for the students, and professors. This is a short video clip about this concept
As Dr. Monaghan said in the session one of the advantages of blackboard discussion board is the time extension of the discussion. In blackboard discussion students have enough time to think about what they would say and participate. Instructors as well have the ability to follow students and determine the activity of each student in the discussion. However, we have to ask is this discussion has academic value. Some believe that this tools just to give impression that we have student’s interaction on online learning. Many students are trying to please the instructor. One the other hand, this tool seems to be a good solution for everyone who is a pretty shy and quite student. I think this tool can provide a great high academic value if the topic of discussion was very specified, and instructor must participate and guide the discussion to specific points.
One of my goals to study abroad especially in USA is to engage in different university life and make new friends and learn new culture. This is what is called social and culture learning. Do online courses provide an attractive social and culture online learning? Do these courses have strategies to support social and cultural learning? Up to now, I did not feel online courses can provide an alternative strategies for traditional class for social and cultural learning. I think that the core of educational life is the social and culture interaction between students and structures. This I miss in online courses. I hope instructors and professional can find strategies to enhance this aspect of learning.  
To conclude, In this session I had the opportunity to learn and experience so many concept. It was a great and helpful experience. And I enjoyed this session. Nevertheless, there are many concept and issue need to be addressed and discussed deeply. I think I need more information and explanation about it.   



1 comment:

  1. Your discussion of the synchronous session was good and I appreciate your perspective a lot!

    ReplyDelete